- The Louisiana Farm to School Program Act, signed by Governor Edwards on June 8th, 2016, will provide essential infrastructural support for farm to school initiatives, encouraging the continued growth of our vibrant statewide movement to the benefit of students, farmers and communities across Louisiana.
- Encourage connection between schools and local farmers through the use of a farm and crop inventory across the state, by region;
- Simplify the purchasing process between schools and farmers by disseminating specific farm to school guidelines to clarify contracting and school food safety and liability insurance requirements.
- Support efforts to ensure that schools have the proper equipment to prepare and process fresh food onsite; and
- Integrate farm to school into the classroom through hands-on activities related to agriculture, food, health, and nutrition such as farm visits, cooking demonstrations, taste tests, and school gardening and compost programs.
STATE FARM TO SCHOOL POLICY AT A GLANCE