As you know, we've made great headway in Farm to School in Louisiana with the support of Senator Francis Thompson, Louisiana State Senate Agriculture, Forestry, Aquaculture and Rural Development Committee Chairman. Tomorrow, Tuesday, April 19, Senator Thompson will introduce a bill, The Louisiana Farm to School Program - in order to assist schools and child nutrition staff to identify and utilize all available resources to support and increase the use of locally grown or raised agricultural products in school nutrition programs. The program will be a collaborative effort implemented by the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry and the Louisiana Department of Education in consultation with various stakeholders.
We are so very excited and appreciative to have such strong support for Farm to School in Louisiana!
Key Program Highlights include:
- An inventory of farms for schools
- Guidance for schools to develop relationships with farmers
- Disseminating farm to school procurement guidelines to both farmers and schools in order to help them work together.
- A plan for integrated curriculum with regard to agriculture, food, health and nutrition
- Disseminate information on proper equipment to prepare and process fresh food onsite
- A Louisiana Farm to School Handbook
This is an incredible step for Louisiana and the Louisiana Farm to School Alliance! Please support Senator Thompson tomorrow, Tuesday at 9:30am in Baton Rouge at the Capitol as he champions our efforts and introduces the Louisiana Farm to School Bill to the Senate Ag Committee. We want to see this bill through!