January has been an action-packed month for farm to school in Louisiana! Here we've rounded up the month's most helpful resources, inspiring stories, and exciting news events for F2S.
- On January 20th, the Senate Agriculture Committee unilaterally approved of the latest CNR draft, the Improving Child Nutrition Integrity and Access Act of 2016. This is BIG news for farm to school! The bill not only doubles funding for USDA farm to school grants, but also increases support for after school, summer, and early care and education programs. Pop over to NFSN for more on why the bill matters and where it goes from here!
- Scholarship applications are now being accepted for the 8th National Farm to Cafeteria Conference! This is a not-to-be-missed opportunity to learn, grow, and network with growers, educators, and policy makers from across the country. The conference will be held in Madison, Wisconsin, June 2nd through 4th. The deadline to apply is February 29th. Additional information can be found here.
- We loved this story about BoysGrow, a Kansas City nonprofit that pays at-risk teens to grow and sell vegetables through their farm-based leadership program. As participant Tyson Hicks-Garlington says, “I have more respect for my food, because people work day and night to put this on our plates. I’m eating healthier too. Food and farming go hand-in-hand to me now.”
- Earlier this month, Salud America! released a report that found children in high-density Latino neighborhoods tend to have increased easy access to unhealthy food options at or near their schools. To accompany the report's release, Lisa Ellis-Veraza of Salud authored an incredible article for NFSN positively brimming with plugs for extraordinary organizations, educational resources and tools for organizing. We can't recommend it enough!
- January kicked off the USDA's new webinar series, "Planning for Farm to School Success in 2016." The series will continue throughout the spring with a February 4th session covering "Finding and Buying Local Foods." Check out our calendar for more details and other farm to school events on the horizon!