With the New Year suddenly upon us, we here at Louisiana Farm to School find ourselves looking back over the past year with a great deal of gratitude. This year has certainly been an extraordinary one for farm to school in Louisiana! In honor of this, we've rounded up five of our favorite farm to school headlines in 2015. We focused mainly on our great home state, but you'll find a handful of national stories tucked in there as well. Enjoy!
- Two 2015 bills were huge leaps forward for farm to school in Louisiana: the "Small Purchase Threshold" bill and the "Urban Ag Incentive Zone" bill. In short, the latter encourages increased production of local food while the former makes it easier to get that food on students' lunch trays! If you'd like to learn more about either, be sure to check out LAF2S Executive Director, Katie Mularz's August interview explaining the ins and outs of both!
- Between the Farm to School Act of 2015 and October's Big Day of Farm to School Action, this year saw overwhelming support for farm to school on the national stage! And while we eagerly await the results of the Child Nutrition Reauthorization proceedings slated for early 2016, we are so encouraged to see the attention being given to food insecurity and farm to school programming.
- This Week in Louisiana Agriculture featured our Acadiana High School Seed Change training on their December 11th show! You'll not only get a glimpse into one of our state's school leaders in farm to school programming, but will also find wonderful interviews with our very own Katie Mularz, Acadiana High's Brandon Broussard, and Lutcher Elementary School Principal, Cynthia Joseph.
- We couldn't have loved this interview with Youth for Healthy Schools' Ron Triggs more. Food justice done by students, for students...extraordinary!
- Finally, LSU Ag Center made headlines with the pilot of their new farm to school initiative, Louisiana Harvest of the Month. An incredible program aimed at increasing food knowledge and getting more local Louisiana produce in school cafeterias!