The Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry and the Louisiana Department of Education invite you to attend a Farm to School Stakeholder Input Session scheduled for September 18th. The input session will take place at the Rapides Parish Media Center at 619 6th Street in Alexandria, La. Registration will begin at 9:00am and the meeting is expected to adjourn at noon.
The objectives of the meeting are to gather input from stakeholders on the following issues identified in Senate Concurrent Resolution 94, authored by Senator Heitmeier and which set forth the evaluation of the implementation of a Farm to School Program in Louisiana. These issues include:
1. Conducting a thorough inventory of small and large farmers and crops across the
2. Developing specific farm to school standards and guidelines for farmers and
3. Developing a plan to provide discounts to small farmers for insurance
requirements that will enable them to participate in a farm to school program.
4. Developing a plan to increase the number of processing sites that prepare and package food products.
5. Develop a plan to ensure that schools have proper equipment to prepare food onsite.
Our goal is to provide a forum in which we can gather input for this very important initiative but also provide information from key individuals from the school systems, local and grass roots efforts, universities, agricultural producers and suppliers, state leaders and federal government.
We look forward to your participation at the meeting. We are encouraging attendees to RSVP to Ms. Melissa Campbell at Melissa.Campbell@la.gov by close of business on Friday, September 12th.