School gardens are outdoor classrooms where students learn core standards through hands-on, experiential learning. Whether it's a few planting pots in the school courtyard used for herbs or a portion of land on the school property used for a vegetable garden, school gardens come in all shapes and sizes. Lessons in the garden can teach students about science, math, social studies, and language arts.
Below are some general school garden resources to get you started.
School garden resources
- Eat. Think. Grow. Lessons for the School Garden
- Food Safety for School Gardens
- Ed Web's Growing School Gardens online community
- LSU AgCenter Cooperative Extension Services; school garden portal
- Life Lab School Garden Resources
- Life Lab School Gardens: Policy and Protocol for School Gardens and Garden to Cafeteria
- Edible Schoolyard Project